Testimonials and Book Reviews
Reviews & Testimonials:
A true insider’s instruction manual, “The Audition Bible: Secrets Every Actor Needs To Know” is exceptionally well written, organized and presented, making it a thoroughly ‘user friendly’ guide that should be considered ‘must reading’ by all aspiring actors from local community theater groups to Broadway and Hollywood casting calls. Read full review
– The Midwest Book Review www.midwestbookreview.com (The Theatre/Cinema Shelf-March 2015)
The Audition Bible is a must read – The subtitle of the book is, “Secrets Every Actor Needs To Know” and that’s exactly why The Healthy Actor enthusiastically endorses this book as a must buy for its’ readers. The “secrets” Holly refers to are the types of things we all fall victim to over time.
Actors who have read Holly’s book are easy to spot. Their auditions are prepared, passionate, and compelling. They honor the material and make it sing by making it personal. This makes THE AUDITION BIBLE a gift, not only to actors, but also to the writers and directors who work with them.
– Scott Williams, Writer/Executive Producer (NCIS, Castle, Bones)
Holly Powell has written a most thorough book on auditioning that I wish I’d had when I was starting out. Holly’s wisdom will save every serious actress and actor loads of time and heartache ~ read it now!
– Frances Fisher, Actress (Resurrection, Titanic)
I have seen first-hand the professionalism and grace of Ms. Powell in action…This is the clearest, most helpful Bible for the real world of auditioning I have ever read…The actor as athlete thread is inspiring…It’s a must for actors. Bravo! Out of the park!
– Sam Anderson, Actor/Director (Justified, Lost, ER)
Award-winning Hollywood Casting Director, Holly Powell, has written a “from the trenches,” how to audition book that should be in every actor’s possession and on every acting department’s reading list. THE AUDITION BIBLE won’t get you to the Promised Land but it will surely point the way!
– Robert Schenkkan, Author Tony Award Best Play (All The Way) Pulitzer Prize (Kentucky Cycle)
Good for you for inspiring so many to do better, be better … and hopefully look at auditions as an opportunity to ACT because that’s what they are!
– Dan Bucatinsky, Actor/Writer/Producer Emmy Award Guest Actor Drama Series (Scandal); Writer (Grey’s Anatomy); Executive Producer/Actor (The Comeback)
Holly brings her considerable experience working with and observing actors and shares a wealth of information to help anyone working in the business of entertainment, be it as an actor, casting director, agent, manager, director or producer. She knows what she’s talking about!
– Jason La Padura, Casting Director (High School Musical, Teen Beach Movie, Longtime Companion); CSA Artios Award/Emmy Nominee
Holly Powell has taken her years of experience as an actor and award winning casting director to craft an invaluable tool for the young performer as well as seasoned working actor. The Audition Bible takes the “SCARY” out of the audition process. Her insight and knowledge of the “business of show” should be the go to source in every performer’s arsenal. As a working actor for 35 years, I haven’t come across anything to compare to it. Kudos to you Holly!
– James Pickens, Jr., Actor (Grey’s Anatomy, 42, The X-Files) NAACP Image Awards winner/SAG Awards winner
What Holly Powell has accomplished with her wonderful book, “The Audition Bible,” is gather all the most no-nonsense and valuable information needed to enter the crazy maze of show business. Using her vast and rich experience as a teacher and award-winning casting director Holly answers questions a young actor might not even have thought of. She knows the terrors an actor can face as he begins the journey and calmly and comfortingly reassures as she provides a sensible road map. I wish I had this book when I was starting out!
– Reed Birney, Actor (House of Cards, Casa Valentina, Circle Mirror Transformation) Drama Desk and Obie Award winner / Tony Award nominee
THE AUDITION BIBLE should be the canon to any actor looking to understand the business. Holly uses her award-winning talent to meticulously dive into the world of casting and share her knowledge. Having worked with Holly on a number of hit television shows, I have seen firsthand her masterful approach to casting… this book contains all the elements to prepare an actor for success.
– David Janollari, David Janollari Entertainment (Six Feet Under, One on One, The Hughleys)
Holly Powell shares her years of casting expertise in this smart, practical “how to” bible. If you want to book jobs, read it!
– Mary Lou Belli, Director / Author (The NEW Sitcom Career Book, Directors Tell The Story)
There really are secrets to acting success. Passion, preparation and perseverance. But just as powerful is INFORMATION. Holly Powell is a caring skilled guide to the whole artistic process of presenting your acting skills in the best form so you can win roles. I worked with Holly when casting my own material and she is top of the game. Her Audition Bible is the real thing, easy to read, caring and effective!
– Pen Densham, Producer/Writer/Director (Moll Flanders, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, The Outer Limits – CableACE Award Winner / Oscar Nominee)
As an actor and director, I have been on both sides of the rooms Holly Powell talks about in her beautiful new book on Auditioning. This is the clearest, most helpful Bible for the real world of auditioning I have ever read. The actor as athlete thread is inspiring, and I have seen first-hand the professionalism and grace of Ms. Powell in action and the terrific work done by her students. Bravo! Out of the park!
– Sam Anderson, Actor / Director (Justified, Lost, ER)
What impressed me most about THE AUDITION BIBLE is that it has relevance to anyone who works in front of or behind the camera. It’s not just for actors.
– Noel Clarke, Actor/Writer/Producer/Director (Star Trek Into Darkness, Kidulthood, Doctor Who BAFTA & Olivier Award winner)
Walking in the audition room is the job! Being on set or stage is the Dream. THE AUDITION BIBLE helps one’s preparation and confidence in making your dreams come true!
– Andre Royo, Actor (The Wire, Fringe)